Tuesday, December 1, 2009

J. Tillman at Modified Arts 11-30-2009


What Laura Says Thinks And Feels is a pretty awful name, but the music was pretty good. The one thing that I didn't like about them was the white-soul-beat-boxing thing the singer was doing. I didn't get it. They were, however, the best local AZ band I have seen to date.

I don't think the audience knew what to do with Pearly Gates Music; admittedly, neither did I. It was a one man acoustic set by Zach Tillman, Josh Tillman's younger brother, which consisted of mostly chorusless ramblings about herpes, Jesus, and gender disambiguation. The first song was shit in my opinion--it had no intrest for me at all, but as his set moved on I found myself liking it more and more. The last song sold me though. I bought his five song EP in the hopes that there is something on it as good as that song, and I believe it is on there, so win!

J. Tillman was great! The whole band did a great job. Josh just has such a powerful and moving voice! To be honest I don't even know what else to say about it, it was great! At the end of the set he asked if anyone had any requests, but no one did. I found myself trying to think of some of my favorite songs of his, but he had played all of the ones that I really wanted to hear, and that's a good thing! Great show!

Photos from the show courtesy of Shawn at Electricmustache.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/electricmustache/sets/72157622914472596/

No comments:

Post a Comment